Patio Design Ideas Photos – Patio designs come in all shapes, sizes and materials. They can be transported to an Italian villa, the French countryside, or the Caribbean islands. Patios add value, create a seasonal extra room in the house and are a source of pleasure many months of the year. It can be difficult to choose from all the ideas, materials, and combinations available, unless you have an idea of what you want and need.
Patio Components to Consider
The first thing to consider in the design of your patio or deck is what you actually need. If you have a sloping property, for example, you may consider a multilevel patio. Other areas to consider are:
- How big you need the patio to be? How much fun will you do? There are details of design details that will make the difference in the size you need? If you plan to have a bar, then you will need space for seating and traffic flow, for example. Keep these types of details in mind.
- Will you want a fountain or a koi pond?
- Lighting can add ambiance. Solar lights are a number of possible look. Will you use it mostly at night or during the day? Plan the amount of light in conjunction with what you will. If you play the card games, you will need more light than if you will be chatting under the stars.
- Lines add interest. Create a casual, romantic look with graceful lines, curve or a more formal look with straight lines and angles.
- There’s a place in your garden, which has a spectacular view? This might be the best place for your patio. If you have an existing patio, make sure that there is nothing that blocks the view you have.
- How much money you have to spend on this project? If finances are limited you need to keep a careful eye on your patio design. In some states you may be able to get grants and special loans to cover part of the costs.
- The weather patterns in your area can make a difference in how much time you spend on your patio. Think ahead and plan for various types of climate. Depending on the angle of the sun you may want to consider a sunscreen in addition to a roof.
- Everything from rooms to paintings needs a focal point. Your patio does, too. A pool, hot tub, outdoor fireplace or even a set of chairs can work as a focal point for your patio. Ideas can be delineated or written down as they occur to you and sifted through at a later time.
- Your patio should complement the style of your home. If you have a Queen Anne Victorian then a Mediterranean patio is going to look a bit ‘weird. When you are planning features like furniture and accessories, keep the overall style in mind.
Now that you know what you need, you can add things that you want. There are many materials and design elements that can make your patio. Mix and match materials to create a custom look. Some materials that are used in backyards are:
Design elements can create anything imaginable. You can place garden areas within the patio itself or add statuary or a fountain. Create a tranquil Japanese Garden by adding a quiet koi pool.
Items you might want to consider are:
- Outdoor cooking zones
- Outdoor fireplace
- Solar lighting
How do you use design patio plants will have an impact on the total look of the patio. Use plants of varying sizes and use different heights in planters and pots. Vary the colors and shape of the canopy for interests. Plan carefully for the shade trees, but also be aware that the falling leaves can give design elements, like a pool hard to clean. The landscape should complement the entire look of the patio and the House. Very casual gardens are at their best in an environment of cottage style, while tropical plants can look wonderful in a Mediterranean-style house. Spend the afternoon at the library looking through gardening magazines and the House can give some key insights and ideas.
Furniture and Accessories
Wicker furniture is a beautiful addition to a patio type cottage, but it seems silly for a tasteful, tropical style. Carefully plan your purchases of furniture for the overall look. Some styles of furniture to think about are:
- Wrought iron
- Of wood
Accessories for Visual Interest
Have accessories on your patio can take from average to amazing. Things like fireplaces, outdoor kitchens and bars make your work patio for you. Plan these accessories early in the design process so that you can make sure that there is enough space to sit, walkways, and statuary.
Add visual interest with interesting articles and colors. Bring different colors to create the atmosphere as well as add continuity from House to the patio. You can use the materials of construction, as well as the scenery and accessories to add color.
- Adding a bird bath next to the patio also add visual interest as the birds come and go. Statues can add different layers to keep the eye moving across the landscape.
- Fountains not only add visual interest but they provide soothing background noise.
Design Ideas for Patios
Looking through decorating magazines and gardening are great ways to get inspired. More patio designs you see more ideas you are likely to get. A quick trip to the local library will provide you with plenty of patio design books to look at. Once you have your ideas you can get a computer program to create 3-D.
Online Patio Photos
- Pacific Paving
- Magic Service
- Hanging gardens
- Balcony and Patio Company
Choose a Design You Love
Looking at hundreds of patio designs can be confusing. Take some time and think about what aspects of each patio you like best. Create your own patio from a mixture of the things you love in each drawing with consideration for your needs. Have a nice patio is like adding a room to your home. Make it an area that you love being in your own private retreat.